From Cheryl over at livejournal; she gave me 5 words that she associated with me, and I've to post about what they mean to me.
Singing. Literature. Yunjae. Chung Cheng. Music.
1. Singing
Hmm I don't know where to start, so let's start from the facts. I've always enjoyed singing ever since I was young. And I mean young, like blasting off hokkien songs my parents used to listen to, kind of young. Haha. I could memorize lyrics really easily so I would always sing out loudly. But the very first competition I ever went to was Chung Cheng's Talentime back in Sec 1, man that was epic lol. I sang a Chinese song (omg I know my friends will remember this so please, that is a fragment of my past I do NOT wish to recall) and I got 2nd prize. I remember I was so freaked out in the lecture theatre, I did a 'peace' sign in the middle of a sad song -.- Lol and subsequently tried out for Campus Superstar which obviously I didn't get through. Idk, I think I was possessed. Subsequently, after Os my friend asked me to help be the vocal for his band so I performed at DXO once for a gig. It was an experience but I didn't enjoy myself because the genre was not something I liked. Well anyway.. Other than that, I pretty much stopped singing some time in Sec 3? When I began to pay more attention to lyrics and melody of songs rather than merely singing along. Eventually, I began to learn how to appreciate music more, and I stopped singing (I make it sound so pro, but I really mean like leisurely). Nowadays, I hardly ever hum a tune unless it's a song I really like or I'm at karaoke.
2. Literature
Ah... This is timely :) Well I've been doing Lit as an examinable subject for 6 years now, since Sec 1. And performing okay, I would like to believe. (I dropped from my A1 in O levels to a B in A levels. But cannot compare since I was fucked up in JC right? HAHA oops, kidding.) The other day when NTU Lit called me for an interview, I was (and still am) contemplating if I should go down because I'd be doing Lit for a good 10 years assuming I get in/choose it. The thing is, throughout these years, I've really enjoyed Lit. I really like the aspect of reading into words, understanding beyond mere comprehension, and expression through critique. Reading makes me happy. (Okay, maybe not Shakespeare.) It gives me new perspectives, it broadens my knowledge and it makes me think. The power of language is too mighty to be overridden by any other from of expression, I feel. And hence, I really take Literature seriously even though it is a form of leisure and relaxation for me at times. But on another hand, I really dislike that when I have to study it, it becomes such a chore. Sure, I enjoy certain aspects of it at times, but it can get so taxing and mundane. But on the other hand, without these skills, I would never learn to appreciate texts more than I can now. It's kind of ironic, but I think Lit students would get what I mean.
3. Yunjae
HAHA non-dbsk fans may skip this entire section, don't say I didn't warn you.
Well Yunjae.. It's hard to say. Sometimes I believe its true when I see all the videos and pictures and it's just so hard to deny because the facts are in your face. But at the same time I guess I don't want to believe it. Not that I have anything against homosexuality lol, it's just.. I guess it's hard for me because when I look at them sing, I can feel their emotions and if I believe in them, it would make me think that they are singing about one another, and it just.. affects the enjoyment of the song. I don't know if anyone gets this, but that's how I feel, at least. So as much as I think they share a very special bond (be it as friends, brothers or not), I try not to think too much into it. I do believe that the closeness they have established throughout these years can probably match that of a real couple, though. But to be in romantic love or not, that is an area I try not to let my mind wander to.
4. Chung Cheng
You know, after going to Millennia, SAJC, working, or even Jap classes, basically after meeting people from all walks of life, and going through all sorts of experiences, all I can say is that, Chung Cheng was the biggest part of me. It was where I made the most important friendships in my life, it was where I learnt to grow up and where I matured. At Chung Cheng, I felt that I belonged there. And I really miss that feeling. It's hard to put down everything into words, because every time when I think about Chung Cheng, instead of scenarios playing in my head or associating a word with it, all I get is a happy, homely feeling and a swelling sense of pride inside. I know this sounds so sappy, but I feel very proud of being a CCHMS student. To me, Chung Cheng is love. Reallllly.
5. Music
Wow wow. There's probably too much to write if I were to really express everything I really wanted. Music is a huge part of my life. Sad to say, I have no musical knowledge or music skills. And I've always been pretty upset about that. I was never musically inclined, even though I try at times. But well, I've learnt to accept that I can only appreciate music and not be appreciated musically, haha. Well I never really thought so much into music until after DBSK, actually. Seriously. Put it this way, before them, music was already really important to me but it was in a different way. I was really obsessed with good lyrics, well-composed hooks and catchy refrains. I never thought about how the voices was to compliment one another, how the melody was to flow with the tone of the song, and how a piece of music can really be suited for just that one, single voice. (Or a combination of 5, in this case.) All these, I only learnt after I paid so much attention to those 5. Especially with their Japan releases. It made me such an audiophile, I swear!! And it makes music enjoyment so much better, seriously. Either way, I am more discerning of what's in my playlist now. It's not only about the lyrics anymore. And the right song never fails to gets me in the right mood (or out of one, haha) whenever it's on playback. Haha.
P.S. Really want to get into details of Japanese/Korean/Chinese/English music and how they impact me, but that'd be TOO long an entry, I swear. I have endless things to say about that. HAHA!
---
YEAH I KNOW I AM LONG-WINDED. Sorry, that is the only reason why I can write 14 essays for A levels. Hahaha! If you read through the entire thing, at a go, you are amazing I swear. I love you.
Going to end off with a picture of ME (and my alter ego) just to claim ownership, HAHA.
Also, I signed up for a Formspring account! (here!)
Well, partially because it's all the rage and partially because I wanted a tagboard of some sort anyway. Formspring > tagboard because it lets me reply directly instead of through tagboard one at a time which might flood (ASSUMING I have enough taggers hahaha! whatever.) So yeah. Leave a comment, ask me a question, whatever you wanna say to me please direct it there! OH AND if you want to do the meme above, let me know too. I'd gladly give you 5 words. It's a really good way to sort out your thoughts after a long day though, tried and proven :)